Liver is one of the most nutrient dense foods around. The problem is, many people don’t like the taste. And since the taste is so prominent, you can’t really downplay its flavor, unless… you cook it with lots of pungent Indian spices.
If you want to be brave and try liver for the first time, this is a good version to start with. Cutting the liver in small pieces also helps mask the liver’s liverness.
The recipe below has been simplified from this one.
Indian Liver Recipe: Not Only for Liver Lovers
2 tbsp. coconut oil (or other healthy fat)
4 onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
½ kilo (1 lb.) chicken liver, cut into small pieces
4 tomatoes, cubed
2 tsp. coriander
1½ tsp cumin powder 1½ tsp turmeric powder ½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp garam masala powder
10 snow peas, (or similar amount of green beans)
1 carrot grated.
Sea salt, to taste (approx 1 ½ tsp.)
1. Melt 2 tablespoons oil in a wok.
2. Sauté the sliced onions over medium heat for two minutes. Add the garlic and keep sautéing until the onions are softened.
3. Move the onion to the sides of the wok, and add the chicken liver. Sauté, stirring often.
4. When the liver is cooked, mix the onions with the liver. Add:
a grated carrot
sliced snow peas
5. Cook about 20 minutes until done.
Note: I’m sure you could make substitutions for the snow peas and carrot. I simply used what I had handy.