Few combinations are as universally pleasing as tomato, garlic, and basil. These ingredients come together in an easy-to-make soup. With the addition of chicken broth, coconut oil, and garlic, this soup is brimming with wholesome ingredients – a perfect paleo basic!
Easy Tomato Soup
2 Tbsp. Virgin Coconut Oil
5 Garlic cloves, sliced
1½ Kilos (about 3 pounds) Organic Tomatoes
½ Cup Fresh Basil leaves
1 Cup Homemade Chicken Bone Broth (preferably from pastured chickens)
2/3 Cup Coconut Milk or Fresh Cream
1 Tsp. Sea Salt, or to taste.
Garnish with sliced sun-dried tomatoes and sliced, fresh basil. (optional)
1. Slice the garlic and let is rest for 10 minutes so its natural allicin can develop.
2. Heat coconut oil over low heat and add the crushed garlic.
3. Cook for about a minute to soften and infuse the oil with garlic.
4. Cut the tomatoes in large pieces (quarters or sixths, depending on tomato size). Remove the hard stem base, and add to the pot.
5. Add a handful of whole basil leaves.
6. Cover, and cook over a low flame for about 30 minutes.
7. Remove from heat. If you have the time, let the tomato combination cool down. It’s more pleasant to use blend when the soup has cooled down.
8. Puree the tomato mixture with an with an immersion blender until there are no more chunks of tomato.
9. Return to stove. Add broth. If the soup is too thick or concentrated for your taste, add a little water.
10. Add the coconut milk or cream and salt to taste.
11. Before you serve, cut sun-dried tomatoes into 4 or 5 pieces, and finely sliced basil. Garnish with slices of sun-dried tomato and thinly sliced basil to add color.
If you liked this recipe, why not share it with your friends?